DUBAI FITNESS CHALLENGE IS HERE -
FREE SPECTACULAR OPENING WEEKEND CARNIVAL TO KICK OFF THE 30-DAY MOVEMENT AT SAFA PARK ON
20 & 21 OCTOBER
- Main Stage to feature celebrity appearances and exciting line up of fitness acts and events
- Come and Try Fitness, Children’s Fun & Fitness and Nutrition and Healthy Living Zones located across the park
- Mass Mala Yoga event planned with over 1,500 participants expected
- Extreme and action sports specialists XDubai to perform a signature stunt
Dubai, United Arab Emirates: The much-awaited Dubai Fitness Challenge kicks off at Safa Park this weekend with an incredible two days of celebrity appearances, fun activities, team and individual sports, stage acts and a host of events to keep the adults, kids and entire families energised. Former England football captain and Manchester United player, Rio Ferdinand, will be in attendance to lead the festivities and encourage both children and adults to embrace an active lifestyle. The opening weekend carnival kicks off the 30-day, first of its kind challenge aiming to make Dubai one of the most active cities in the world. Commencing at 1 p.m. until 9 p.m. Friday October 20, join Dubai’s residents as they get their #Dubai30X30 goals off to a flying start.
With all the action starting this week, make sure the Opening Weekend event is in your diary. Playing host to an amazing line-up of celebrity training sessions, live shows and the opportunity to try over 40 exciting sports and activities, all ages and fitness levels will find exciting new activities to experience and get active. Committing to a healthy lifestyle has never been easier, especially with the host of community engagement and family friendly programmes.
Rio Ferdinand, who played 81 times for England and is the winner of six Premier League titles and one Champions League medal comments: “I am massively into my fitness and it has always been a big part of my life. The Dubai Fitness Challenge is really exciting for me and I’m happy to be involved., I train regularly not just for myself physically, but also for my mind, for 30 minutes it can be the most chilled out time of your day mentally. I believe that regardless of whatever age we are, we need to be more active, more motivated and influenced by people to understand that being active, being fit and generally just moving should be part of our lifestyle. I look forward to being in the great city of Dubai soon and getting involved; see you there.”
Celebrity Virgin Radio RJ’s, Kris Fade, Big Rossi and James Everton will be on stage and working the crowds, taking part in their own fitness challenges and giving out a host of sporting prizes to lucky participants.
One of the weekend highlights will be the free Global Mala – or “mala around the earth” – hosted by YogaFest Dubai and expected to draw a massive crowd. This event is part of a worldwide effort to unite people through positivity, intention and mindfulness. Inspired by traditional mala beads – or a 108-bead strand used by yogis to aid in meditation, salutations and more – the Global Mala Project’s “mala around the earth” is a gathering aimed at yoga, service and collective action. At Dubai’s Global Mala, five qualified instructors will lead the two-hour yogathon, which will comprise 108 sun salutations of classical hatha yoga. Build a healthier you and experience the meaning of true community spirit at the Global Mala, welcoming all levels of yoga practitioners who are 16 years and above.
Highlights on the Main Stage at the Safa Park Weekend Fitness Carnival include:
- Football legend and former England player, Rio Ferdinand will top the sporting celebrity line-up, showcasing his own training routine and joining in with the Football Freestylers show
- Star of UK TV show, “The Biggest Loser”, Rob ‘The Killer’ Edmunds will be live on the main stage getting the crowd to work up a sweat by bringing to life just some of the training seen in the popular programme including a boot camp session
- Inspiring Emirati CrossFit and Red Bull athlete, Shaikha Al Qassimi will demonstrate how she maintains her incredible fitness and competitiveness by getting participants involved with her own special training regime
- Sharmila Dance, best described as a wonderland of imagination, art, unique choreographies and with a vision to make dance more known and accessible in the Middle East will showcase amazing dance routines that make activity fun
- The Bollywood Workout is a high intensity Bollywood cardio workout. Move to the heart pumping beats of Bollywood, get ready to feel that muscle burn and unleash your inner swagger
- NRG Boxing is a mix of martial arts to high energy tunes, using cardio and plyometric training to help develop footwork skills, shadow boxing, core focus, hand to eye coordination as you punch away the pounds
- Golds Gym - Dance Fusion infuses Latin rhythms with cardiovascular exercise to create an aerobic routine that is fun and easy to follow while Kid’s Fitness is designed for the little ones to have fun while being active and will introduce them into a healthy lifestyle
Just some of the sports at the Come and Try Fitness Zone include American Football, Basketball, Boxing, Cricket, Golf, Plyo Box Vertical Jump, Strength Training, Suspension Training, Touch Rugby and Volleyball.
Meanwhile, the Children’s Fun and Fitness Zone includes bubble soccer, a climbing wall, trampolines, an inflatable assault course, Horse Hoppers in addition to football skills, drills, training and games on small pitches. Budding footballers can come and tackle a ball control parkour challenge plus try their luck at penalty shootout competitions, a dribbling slalom, freekicks and even the best goal celebration. Also inspiring kids to get more active will be Les Mills Born to Move classes, designed to set young people up with a lifelong love of physical activity.
Extreme and action sports specialists XDubai will perform a signature stunt with the X-factor to mark the official opening of Dubai Fitness Challenge, expect the unexpected from the team who aim to make Dubai the adrenaline capital of the world. Additionally, performers from the spectacular La Perle, Dubai’s very first state-of-the-art resident show, will descend on the Opening Weekend Carnival to demonstrate how they keep fit for their thrilling action-packed performances
As the city takes the Dubai Fitness Challenge of 30 minutes of daily activity for 30 days from 20 October – 18 November, everyone is encouraged to take this opportunity to make a fitness a lifestyle choice not just for themselves but also for their family and friends. Make sure you are registered and ready to take the Dubai Fitness Challenge, so come along on 20 and 21 October and make a real change to your lifestyle.
Dubai Fitness Challenge has been created to motivate Dubai’s citizens, residents and visitors to boost their physical activity and commit to 30 minutes of daily activity for 30 days. Running from October 20 to November 18, 2017, the challenge encompasses all forms of activity – from beach cricket, cycling, football to paddle-boarding, team sports, walking and yoga and everything in between. All ages and fitness levels are encouraged to participate on their own or with friends, family and colleagues and enjoy new and exciting ways to improve their fitness levels. Participants should simply track their performance on the Dubai Fitness Challenge app once the challenge starts.
For more information see www.dubaifitnesschallenge.com.
Notes to Editors:
Dubai Fitness Challenge partners, sponsors supporters and official venues:
Event partner – DEWA
Strategic Sponsors – DP World, Du, Dubai Economy (Department of Economic Development - DED), Dubai Health Authority, Dubai Municipality, Dubai Tourism and RTA
Supporting Sponsors – ARN, DAFZA/DSO and Dubai Chamber of Commerce
Official Supporters – Careem, Dubai Film, DWTC, Emirates, Mai Dubai and XDubai
Official Venues – Al Futtaim, Dubai Holding, Dubai Municipality, Dubai Silicon Oasis, Emaar, Meraas, Nakheel and Skydive Dubai
Government Endorsements – Dubai Sports Council, Events Security Committee, KHDA, Ministry of Education, The Executive Council and Year of Giving.
Dubai’s Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (Dubai Tourism)
With the ultimate vision of positioning Dubai as the world’s leading tourism destination and commercial hub, Dubai Tourism’s mission is to increase the awareness of Dubai among global audiences and to attract tourists and inward investment into the emirate.
Dubai Tourism is the principal authority for the planning, supervision, development and marketing of Dubai’s tourism sector. It markets and promotes the Emirate’s commerce sector, and is responsible for the licensing and classification of all tourism services, including hotels, tour operators and travel agents. Brands and departments within the Dubai Tourism portfolio include Dubai Business Events, Dubai Calendar, and Dubai Festivals and Retail Establishment.